I’m a librarian, historian, and freelance writer dedicated to using books, libraries, and information for the empowerment of women and girls around the world. In addition to being a library historian, I research the history of race and racism, particularly women’s active roles in white supremacist, resistance, and anti-oppression movements. Queer, feminist, and trans-inclusive, I’m a giant book nerd who’s continuously sharpening my disruptive skills as an anti-oppression accomplice in service to others.
I am a columnist with Ms. Magazine, writing “Ms. Feminist Know-It-All” online, and “Bookmarks” in the print publication. I’m also the book review editor for the Coordinating Council for Women in History. I have articles, book reviews, and interviews published and forthcoming in Ms.; Gay & Lesbian Review; Foreword Reviews; Pulp Magazine; Farewell Alarms; The Startup; Fearless, She Wrote; Invisible Illness; Library Management; Canadian Journal of History; Resources for Gender and Women’s Studies: A Feminist Review; and Journal of American History. See my About and Writing pages for more information.
I have a doctorate in Information Science (2016, University of Pretoria, South Africa), a Master’s in Library and Information Science (2006, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee), and an undergrad degree in history and women’s studies (2003, Carroll College, Wisconsin).
I am focused on the work of women writers — more specifically, writing by women from historically underrepresented backgrounds including, but not limited to Black, Indigenous, and Women of Color (BIWOC) writers; queer, lesbian, bisexual, intersex, aromantic, asexual, and transgender/gender nonconforming (TGNC) writers; women writers from the Global South; women writers who are disabled, neurodivergent, fat, immigrants, justice-involved, or living in poverty.
A selection of clips can be found on the Writing page. I also review fiction and nonfiction books for the Ms. Magazine blog and for other publications. See the Review Policy for more information on having me review your book.
Hire me for:
- Book reviews and author interviews
- Features and essays (long- and short-form)
- Guest blogs
- Research consultations for your work-in-progress, be it a book, film, documentary, news story, article, and more
- Beta and sensitivity reading
- Copyediting and proofreading
My work is:
- High-quality and thoroughly researched
- Reflectively written and considerate of multiple perspectives
- Meticulously fact-checked and edited
- Tailored in style and tone from academic to empathetic to hilarious in order to fit your needs
- One-time or recurring, long- or short-term, long-form or short
- Ready on time and completed above and beyond expectations.
Your readers and clients deserve the best: factual and engaging stories they can trust and relate to; stories that mean something that they will not only learn from and be inspired by, but that they will want to share.