I’m a librarian, book reviewer, freelance writer, and historian dedicated to using libraries and information for the empowerment of women and girls around the world. Queer, feminist, and trans-inclusive, I’m a giant book nerd who’s continuously sharpening my disruptive skills as an anti-oppression accomplice in service to others.
I write two regular columns for Ms. Magazine, including “Ms. Feminist Know-It-All” online, and “Bookmarks” in the print publication. I have articles, book reviews, and interviews published and forthcoming in Ms.; Gay & Lesbian Review; Women’s Review of Books; Foreword Reviews; Pulp Magazine; Farewell Alarms; The Startup; Fearless, She Wrote; The Startup; Invisible Illness; Library Management; Canadian Journal of History; Resources for Gender and Women’s Studies: A Feminist Review; and Journal of American History. See my About and Writing pages for more information.
I am focused on the work of women writers — more specifically, writing by women from historically underrepresented backgrounds including, but not limited to Black, Indigenous, and Women of Color (BIWOC) writers; queer, lesbian, bisexual, intersex, aromantic, asexual, and transgender/gender nonconforming (TGNC) writers; women writers from the Global South; women writers who are disabled, neurodivergent, fat, immigrants, justice-involved, or living in poverty.
Other research interests include the missing and murdered Indigenous women’s movement, global library history, and white women’s roles in white supremacy, with a geographic emphasis on the US and Canada, Nicaragua, and South Africa.
A selection of clips can be found on the Writing page. I also review fiction and nonfiction books for the Ms. Magazine blog and for other publications. See the Review Policy for more information on having me review your book. For a more detailed look at my experience, take a look at my CV (last updated September 2020).
Hire me for:
- Book reviews and author interviews
- Features and essays (long- and short-form)
- Guest blogs
- Research consultations for your work-in-progress, be it a book, film, documentary, news story, article, and more
- Beta and sensitivity reading
- Copyediting and proofreading
My work is:
- High-quality and thoroughly researched
- Reflectively written and considerate of multiple perspectives
- Meticulously fact-checked and edited
- Tailored in style and tone from academic to empathetic to hilarious in order to fit your needs
- One-time or recurring, long- or short-term, long-form or short
- Ready on time and completed above and beyond expectations.
Your readers and clients deserve the best: factual and engaging stories they can trust and relate to; stories that mean something that they will want to share.