I’m a librarian, freelance writer, book reviewer, and historian dedicated to using libraries and information for the empowerment of women and girls around the world. Queer, feminist, and trans-inclusive, I’m a giant book nerd who’s continuously sharpening my disruptive skills as an anti-oppression accomplice in service to others.
I write regular columns for Ms. Magazine, including “Ms. Feminist Know-It-All” online, and “Bookmarks” in the print publication. I have articles, book reviews, and interviews published and forthcoming in Pulp Magazine; Ms.; The Startup; Fearless, She Wrote; The Startup; Invisible Illness; Library Management; Canadian Journal of History; Resources for Gender and Women’s Studies: A Feminist Review; and Journal of American History. See my About and Writing pages for more information.
I am focused on the work of women writers — more specifically, writing by women from historically underrepresented backgrounds including, but not limited to: Black, Indigenous, and Women of Color (BIWOC) writers; queer, lesbian, bisexual, intersex, aromantic, asexual, and transgender/gender nonconforming (TGNC) writers; women writers from the Global South; women writers who are disabled, neurodivergent, fat, immigrants, justice-involved, or living in poverty.
Other research interests include the missing and murdered Indigenous women’s movement, global library history, and white women’s roles in white supremacy, with geographic emphasis on the US and Canada, Nicaragua, and South Africa.
A selection of clips can be found on the Writing page. I also review fiction and nonfiction books for the Ms. Magazine blog and for other publications. See the Review Policy for more information on having me review your book. For a more detailed look at my experience, take a look at my CV (last updated October 2019).
Hire me for:
- Features and essays (long- and short-form)
- Book reviews and author interviews
- Guest blogs
- Research consultations for your work-in-progress, be it a book, film, documentary, news story, article, and more
- Beta and sensitivity reading
- Copyediting and proofreading
My work is:
- High-quality and thoroughly researched
- Reflectively written and considerate of multiple perspectives
- Meticulously fact-checked and edited
- Tailored in style and tone from academic to empathetic to hilarious in order to fit your needs
- One-time or recurring, long- or short-term, long-form or short
- Ready on time and completed above and beyond expectations.
Your readers and clients deserve the best: factual and engaging stories they can trust and relate to; stories that mean something that they will want to share.