January and February Wrap-Up and Updates
Wow. Just wow, y’all.
There’s been a lot going on in my reading/writing/blogging life; hence few posts on here recently!
So here’s the most exciting thing:
It’s the header for my new column on the Ms. Magazine blog! I. am. dead. I love it so much. Many thanks to Carmen Rios for the design and for being an amazing editor and person!
So there’s one post up currently, my 2019 Reads for the Rest of Us. This is a list of the books by and for the rest of us that I am most excited about this year; check it out if you haven’t already. A new list will be coming each month. Carmen’s been super busy with the new Ms. website design — which also looks fantastic! — but March’s should be up any day now. SO very excited about this.
So now you will find some of my book reviews here as usual but also some on the Ms. blog. Follow me on Twitter to keep up to date with my writing.
More writing and quicker turnaround times have made it clear that I really need to re-work my schedule. Not sure what this looks like yet, so any of your organizational tips are welcomed! I have calendars and a spreadsheet for keeping my reviewing straight but not sure it’s all working… I might just need a little time to get used to it all. Or perhaps I need to stop binge-watching Project Runway?
Anyway, so here are my wrap-ups for January and February!
I set a reading goal of 50 books for 2019. I finished 2018 at 53 so I think I can do it.
So far this year, I have read six books:
- God’s Will and Other Lies by Penny Mickelbury – review forthcoming
- Tonic and Balm by Stephanie Allen – review forthcoming
- A Bound Woman is a Dangerous Thing: The Incarceration of African American Women from Harriet Tubman to Sandra Bland by DaMaris B. Hill – review forthcoming
- Barracoon: The Story of the Last “Black Cargo” by Zora Neale Hurston
- On Wisconsin Women: Working for Their Rights from Settlement to Suffrage by Genevieve G. McBride (re-read)
- When Morning Comes by Arushi Raina – read my review
- 2019 Reads for the Rest of Us for Ms. Magazine
- A Brief Review of Arushi Raina’s When Morning Comes
- March 2019 Reads for the Rest of Us – forthcoming for Ms. Magazine
- Online resource and reference reviews for Resources for Gender and Women’s Studies: A Feminist Review
And looking ahead…
I am reading:
- Them Goon Rules: Fugitive Essays on Radical Black Feminism by Marquis Bey – review forthcoming
- Sissy: A Coming-of-Gender Story by Jacob Tobia – review forthcoming
- Malawi’s Sisters by Melanie S. Hatter – review forthcoming
- To Turn the Whole World Over: Black Women and Internationalism edited by Keisha Blain and Tiffany Gill – review forthcoming
I am writing:
- April 2019 Reads for the Rest of Us for Ms. Magazine
- Reviews for Tonic and Balm and God’s Will and Other Lies
- Column about poetry for Ms. Magazine – April 2019
It has been rough trying to get to my monthly wrap-up challenge and my classics reading list. Those will continue to be on hold while I put a new schedule in place.
That’s all the time I’ve got for now. Follow the blog, my social media, and Ms. Magazine for future updates! Thanks for all of your continued support!
One thought on “January and February Wrap-Up and Updates”
Sounds like a great year so far. I have been looking forward to your book recs every month now. Hope you have a great month ahead.
Comments are closed.