Thank you for your interest in having me review your book!
My goal when I review books on this site is to amplify voices of women and other writers from historically marginalized populations. More information about this is listed below.
I am currently accepting new items for review but I need to be selective due to the volume of requests and reviews already lined up through October 2018.
Please read this policy thoroughly before requesting a review.
What I review:
- Books written or edited by women, including trans women and other non-binary, genderqueer or gender nonconforming authors.
- Writers, characters, and topics from historically marginalized populations and underrepresented and/or underserved communities are preferred. This includes, but is not limited to, Black women; women of color; women from the Global South; lesbian, bi, queer, or asexual women; trans women; intersex individuals; women with disabilities; women from rural communities; women living in poverty; single mothers; fat women; justice-involved women.
- Currently, I will only review books by men if they are trans men, men of color, or men of other historically marginalized populations, and then, only rarely.
- Fiction or nonfiction, adult or YA (see genres below).
- Titles from indie publishers are encouraged; self-published titles will be considered as long as they have been professionally edited.
- Debut titles are encouraged!
- Please note that I regularly review titles for a journal published via my office, Resources for Gender and Women’s Studies: A Feminist Review as well as for other academic journals. There may be times where your book may be a better fit for Resources; I will let you know this upon receipt of your request.
- Literary and genre fiction including contemporary, historical, speculative, thrillers/horror, graphic novels.
- Nonfiction including gender and women’s studies; women’s history; biographies/memoirs; current events; LGBT/queer topics; spirituality (think: Buddhism, mindfulness); libraries; leadership; women’s and girls’ development, education, or empowerment; Global South.
What I don’t review:
- Romance, westerns, mysteries, self-help, Christian, poetry, literary criticism, Manga.
- Children’s literature, picture books.
- Self-published books that have not been professionally edited.
Formats: I prefer physical copies (ARCs or published), ebooks for Kindle, or audiobooks.
NOTE: If you are a publisher who would like to send me ARCs/completed books you think I might have an interest in without having to send a request for each, please email me at karlajstrand at gmail dot com and I will send you my mailing address.
In your request, please include:
- Book title, author, and genre.
- Brief synopsis (no spoilers!).
- Publisher information. If self-published, please indicate who has edited your work.
- Book cover if available.
- Release date.
- Any review timeline preference.
- Links to Goodreads, Amazon, author website, publisher website, or other.
- Other relevant information that would explain why you think I would be a good reviewer for this title.
What you can expect:
- Reviews will be thoroughly researched, reflectively written, and meticulously edited. Because I am very particular about the reviews I write, they take time. I write high-quality reviews which are often between 600 and 1400 words; brief reviews are between 300 and 600 words. I do not pump out low-quality, short reviews with typos or other errors just to get out as many as possible. Brief or long, I focus on quality over quantity – this is what makes my reviews stand out and why you want me to write one for your book.
- All reviews contain my own opinions and are written honestly, respectfully, and constructively. Most of my reviews contain both positive and constructive elements.
- My rating system is as follows: Not Recommended, Optional, Recommended, Highly Recommended, and Essential.
- The review will include the book cover, title, author, pages, series (where applicable), publisher, and release date.
- Also included will be a variety of links such as author page or interviews, publisher page, booksellers, or other reviews.
- Please contact me if you have questions. I normally will not run my reviews past you in advance of posting them, unless we have a prior agreement to do so but I will try to alert the author, publisher, etc. that it has posted. This is usually via tag on social media and/or email.
- Reviews will be posted on my website, and usually on Goodreads, Amazon, and NetGalley (as applicable). I advertise my reviews on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn.
Other available services:
- Author interviews.
- Contributing articles to your blog or site.
- Sensitivity reading (contact me for fees).
- Proofreading and editing (contact me for fees).
- I am VERY selective about accepting guest posts on my site (I have yet to actually accept one); spammy, form letter requests will be deleted without reply.
The fine print:
- By sending a review request to me, you are acknowledging that my review may be negative or contain negative elements.
- I reserve the right to refuse any request for any reason.
- Your sending and/or my receiving your book does not guarantee that I will read and review it immediately (or at all). I try my best to read and review books promptly with publication dates in mind but there are simply more books out there than I can review.
Please complete the contact form or email me at karlajstrand at gmail dot com with any questions or to request a review.